We do everything we can to make your smile sparkle! Whether you need teeth whitening, dental implants, or professional cleaning – we’ve got you covered! While there’s no one-size-fits-all for procedures, there are a few things you can do at home to keep your pearly whites healthy. And it starts with healthy food choices. Brushing and flossing on a regular basis are important tricks to maintain a healthy mouth, but keep in mind… you are what you eat!
Foods to Avoid:
- Soda and sugary drinks. When your mouth breaks down simple sugars, it produces acid. Acid is not your friend. It can erode tooth enamel, creating the perfect hole for decay to form.
- The sugars in candy break down and turn into acid, too! Gummy and sticky candies are particularly problematic as they adhere to teeth for even longer amounts of time.
- Ok, not ALL cereal. But those sugary cereals that kids love… avoid those! The combination of starch and sugar in those boxes is bad news. That stuff will get stuck in your teeth and lead to decay faster than you can reach for your toothbrush.
So now that we’ve talked about foods to stay away from, let’s discuss some foods for healthy teeth!
Foods to Choose:
- It’s good for your overall health and your teeth! Why would you drink anything else?!
- The calcium in cheese helps buffer acids that may decay teeth, reinforcing tooth enamel. This dairy product also helps produce more saliva, which helps fight acids in your mouth. Even better? Some research shows that cheese may help strengthen minerals on the surface of your teeth.
- Do you have a sweet tooth that only chocolate can fix? Well, good news. Substances in cocoa may help reduce tooth decay and gum inflammation! Choose wisely, though. Dark chocolate contains fewer calories than milk chocolate, so your waistline will love you, too!
Keeping your mouth healthy requires a commitment. We’re here to help! If you have questions about keeping your teeth healthy or you’re ready for an exam, give us a call.